Home Photography Writing About

26.6.12

White Horse by Alex Adams - Book Review

I'm very stingy with five-star ratings. That privilege is reserved for those books that really strike a chord with me, the ones where I'm flying through them but at every other sentence or so I have to stop and reread to savor the words. Last year I read one book that was five-star, Never Let Me Go by Kazuro Ishiguro. This year I have had an exceptional year and have read four so far that I rated that high.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
The Getaway Car by Ann Patchett

White Horse by Alex Adams book cover

And White Horse by Alex Adams. I love a mixture of genres, especially literature and magic. Well this one was science fiction and literature...and wow. The writing I just wanted to drink up, lap it up like a kitten with milk. I spent a lot longer reading this book than I normally would have because (well, it scared me because it's creepy) but also because I kept rereading certain hauntingly beautiful sentences.

A man-made virus changes the world, along with men changing the weather, and everything goes to crap. All  while we watch a woman search desperately in this messed up world for her lost love. It was so devastating and thriller-ish and well-developed and simply good. I think this one will stick in my mind for a long time.