Home Photography Writing About

7.1.10

What color to paint?

I'm really having trouble deciding what color to paint my accent wall in our new living room. The couch we want is a dark grey, so I'm thinking of going with a red or blue. Sadly, I didn't take these beautiful rose pictures. But now I'm considering buying roses just to take pictures! Ok, back on track. Here are close to the color choices.


And here is the wall. Don't pay attention to the curtains, the previous tenant left those here, and I can keep them or move them to a different room. There is a lot of light in this room. The floors are a light wood (linoleum). And the wall I'm talking about is on the far right next to the windows. It goes up into the gallery area. Our couch would go against that wall. I'm really taking into consideration the feel of each color.

Blue is a cool color and will make the room feel bigger, even though it already is. It will also have a calming effect. When you see blue, what do you think of? I think of clouds.

Red is a warm color and will make the room feel closer. It makes your blood pressure go up. What do you think of when you see red? Besides red being my favorite color, I think of hot. (I know you can't really think of hot but that's where my mind goes.)

Please let me know what you think! I'm really torn between the two because I've done red a lot, but I like it so much.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

red for me, but not fire engine red but a darker red
mom

O'Brien said...

Check out the following for ideas. I don't like red or blue. I'm thinking more greenish teal or orange with grey.

http://bossycolorblog.blogspot.com/2007/11/accent-wall-friend-or-foe.html

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/

Fern said...

I love your spiral staircase, btw. I'd go with RED. I'd pick warmth over cool any day :) Good luck with your choice.

Anonymous said...

You know, I'm really with Kelli on this. or your mom. I kinda dig the orange. And that is still a you color. You can totally make it work with everything. I honestly don't love the bright colors like you have in your example - at least for a wall... it almost feels like it is too much of an eye catcher. So if you did choose to go with blue or red I would pick darker of each. Perhaps a burgundy or dark (not bight) almost matte blue. I'm a big fan of the sage green - almost antique look, but it still would look nice with a modern apartment. But I really love the Orange wall on that blog. and really think that would be perfect for you. not red, but warm and still makes me think of you! :)